Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch the folks using my cabin

Default Catch the folks using my cabin

Not very remote..Big Lake
    Actually a house and not a cabin. We are there off and on throughout the year.

We have suspected that someone has been enjoying our space over the last year. Things out of place. Beer missing. Tools gone. Water pump left on..etc..(filled septic via faucet leak)

Last visit I left a game camera in open view inside the main living area. Reset the events. Turned off the flash. Batteries at 90%. Set to take 2 pics every minute if motion is detected.

Well the camera recorded 78 events but the camera was disturbed. Moved about 6 feet and the selector switch was moved to setup. SDcard still there but erased upto my last hunting trip. Good thing I verified the chip and cam worked before leaving.. I know there were at least 6 pics of me setting it up. I checked on my laptop and put the chip back in the camera.

Sooooooo.. what now? More cams and more discreet locations? Shotgun with entry switch?? (JOKING)

Odd thing is nothing of value is missing. Nothing very noticeably disturbed. I have a few suspects but catching them will be difficult at best.

Looking for cheap ideas on catching the unwanted guests. And yes we have changed the locks. Three times in the last 18 months.

Stop buying good beer and maybe I'll, I mean they will stop. But seriously there are many hide a cameras out there that don't look like a game camera.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That's enough to make a fellow angry. I'd give the camera idea another shot, with a sign saying there are hidden cameras and trespassers will be prosecuted. I wonder if the state troopers could give you some kind of sign or sticker? I had someone stealing my mail. The Postal Inspection Service gave me an official looking sticker to put on the front of my mailbox warning about the penalties for mail theft. Don't know if that's the reason, but as far as I know I haven't had a theft since.

Am looking at a few nanny cams. Wife wants to see their faces.. I want them to be scared to death of coming back.

Also checking into a realtime cam. IP addressable via a mifi. Get an email with a pic within one minute of event. Could justify a duel use using that in the woods. Not for hunting of course.

BTW will make sure to remove the good beer and leave some Old Milwaukee.

Leave a 1/2 full bottle of Baileys with X-Lax mixed in.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post

I support this type of response.

Ya know...sometimes I really like a heavy laxative in my Baileys. So what if the <edited> sum***** drank it while burning my wood and suffered a mild dysentery issue.

Sad thing is we are now taking different steps to enjoy our space. Toothbrushes are not left, soap bars, used towels, bedding, dishes......Starts to piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA brilliant

How do you think they are getting if you changed the locks..........? I would suggest you dig a mound like a fresh grave. The maker Say's, "Unknown Trespasser".

Sorry to hear about that. Depends on how much money you want to throw on the problem. The folks at TecPro in anchorage probably do the best security camera work in town, or anywhere for that matter. They install high end Mobotix IP cameras even in remote sites (radio and solar) but they are pricey. They do a lot of port, oil field and government work around the state and DOT / Port and HS work in the lower 48. Cameras are absolutely top notch and can record to a networked source so even if they trash your cameras you WILL have their faces. On top of that they make a proprietary bomb proof housing... you might consider adding that to the package on at least one camera to insure that the camera cannot be demolished (save you the replacement cost). Obviously if you are willing to go through all that you should be prepared to press charges and see it through even it you find out its your neighbor.

If I had a place out there I would absolutely pay extra to install some of these around, maybe 2-3. I HATE it when undesirables think they can enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

They have trail cams that are digital and will send out pics to your computer via cell phone type system, so it should work in big lake. I would just set up another one and wait, because they cant erase your computer pics then. But still put ex-lax in the baileys along with a little ipacac (self pucking meds and it works great)in in some whiskey

At this point i would spend the extra money to get their faces no matter what and get them caught. I wouldn't do anything to scare them off to ensure that I did catch them. If they are doing it to you then they are doing it to others as well. Put them in jail!! You might even find a way to add a civil suit to the mix to get reinbursed for previous things missing. I like the baileys idea but could cause some sort of retribution. Since no shotgun door trap how about a nice bear trap?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Check your friends and family....
    Who else could possibly know about the camera you placed and know to delete up to a certain point vs clear all of destroy memory card.
    Who else could defeat 3 key/lock changes.
    Who else could possibly know when you are there-Coming-On your way-going, etc...

Someone you know and trust has got you dialed in...
    If you do the bailey's trick and have a 16+ year old with the runs in the coming weeks, you'll have solved your problem.....lol

Ghosts..........

OR CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHRGH Check under your beds . They love to hide under there too.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    I support this type of response.

Ya know...sometimes I really like a heavy laxative in my Baileys. So what if the <edited> sum***** drank it while burning my wood and suffered a mild dysentery issue.

Sad thing is we are now taking different steps to enjoy our space. Toothbrushes are not left, soap bars, used towels, bedding, dishes......Starts to piss me off.
    Well...you might want to think carefully about this one...a drunk with the spins might decorate the place!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

I'd get more sneaky about the game cam thing. We had a guy come into the store a few weeks ago with some really nice game cam pics of kids messing with his heavy equipment. We were able to identify the kids in about 30 seconds for him I was amazed at the clarity of them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm with Derby06, I think you going to find out it is someone you know. I also think you could go with AKDoug's suggestion and be more clever on hiding the game cam. Maybe even a few "off schedule" visits to the cabin.

I like a good mystery. Be sure to post the conclusion once you catch them.
    I believe it's someone you know or a local that knows you and your routine.

Maybe send someone you know over to the place randomly to try and catch on the offtime you are not using it. Know anybody local in the Big Lake area that you could call on to make visits to the cabin? Thus the "users" would not recognize the vehicle or occupants when they pulled in to suprise them.

Any chance you have a teenager of your own that is using it and not letting you know?

Anywho, good luck and keep us posted!
    BK

I would try some of the ideas above to catch the people. Chasing them off will just mean they will do the same thing to the next guy down the line. Once you have that done, you could consider putting a small security company sign up (ADT or similar) by the driveway and/or front door. Even if you don't have the system, the sign will keep most potential trespassers away since they don't know if you do or not. So many of the companies now have cell phone call in systems, they are not easily bypassed just by clipping the outdoor phone or power lines and most criminals know that.

I'm with bkmail. When I was a teenager I used to take my girlfriends up to my folks cabin, until one day I dropped a hot fry pan and burned the flooring. Was hard to explain that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast