Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery Hunting Interior Griz?

Default Archery Hunting Interior Griz?

Fellow Archers, I am coming home this Spring from a deployment and will have quite a bit of time to burn,I have taken a couple of bears,but I was just wondering How tough it is to spot and stalk interior Griz? I have never done it, and there are very few video tapes on these type of hunts.I just thought it be challenging, I have the right tackle, but wanted to get a view from archers standpoint. I plan on going alone, call me crazy, but I like pure adrenalin hunts....K

sounds pretty nuts to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Go for it!

No, you are not crazy. A partner would be more comforting. But I often hunt alone and why not.

I would practice trying to "draw" your firearm though. Be it rifle, shotgun or handgun. I came upon the situation once where I had a bear within 15-20 feet, staring right at me. Bow was strapped to the right wrist with an arrow nocked, shotgun in the left hand by the grip. NOTHING, nothing gets the old heart pumping more that this. I have determined I do not need a cardiologist to check my heart out. If it did not explode then, it ain't never gonna. It is high like you can never duplicate.

Fred Bear shooting his record brown from 15 yards with a stick bow is an image imbedded in my mind.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Yeah I know its sounds pretty nuts, but when I go bear hunting, nobody has time to go or always back out, you know how that goes. Even just riding the four-wheeler to the bait stand is very eery, especially when you see all those bear tracks on the way in/out, I'm afraid that those bears associate the sound of an ATV to food and that they are coming for me. However, I wanted to try the stalking/glassing from a vantage point...K

by nuts I mean the best bear hunt possible levals the playing field a bit, I mean anyone can kill one with a rifle.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink Well seasoned Hunter!

Sounds like fun! Make sure to bring some pepper spray, this way you can spray yourself up. Bears like well seasoned hunters!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

it's fun, and quite dooable.

Dunno what kind of answers you're looking for here. Good glass and lots of time behind it and you'll find bears. Havent been around this past spring now, so wont be going out for them much anymore. My buddie does and it is trying to seal the deal on a super super nice interior grizzly. Ok, the dam thing is huge literally. My 8'8 brownie and him, I dont know what one is bigger.

We're doing it with stickbows, no guns allowed, not as backup either.

Tradbow, wow that is crazy! stick bow in hand with no backup. Well at least you are going with someone. I wish someone would go with me, but you know how it is, like I stated. I tried doing the spot and stalk thing with black bear but they are so fast, and I guess I'm not good at it, thats why I just resort to bear baiting for them, on the other hand, can't do that with Griz. I was just trying to see how hard it is to do, I hear of hunters trying it for years before they get one with a bow. I know its not even that easy with rifle. I do get that eery feeling because where I want to hunt there's a lot of thick brush and burned trees so visibility is limited until I get to a high vantage point, and I am not one for surprizes. I think that is how you are supposed to do it right? Well like you say its doable, and I will be packing a side arm, but then again you said 8'-plus? I might wait...........................K

grizz are tougher to stalk than black bears, at least in unit 13. we do have easy stalks on both sometimes but for the most part your grizz is harder to get on. in open tundra getting on bow range is a feat, we've done it several times under 40 yards, it can be done, nothing nuts about it, just have to work it out once you find the bear. one idea if the unit 13 state park season is going to be opened year around is hit indian or troulbesome when the salmon show up and hunt the rivers, that'll make your skin crawl! its a kick in the shorts hunting bears on a salmon stream, when you know their looking for food...i'd play with heavier arrows, their ribs are a little tougher than most, as a general rule, grizz bones are alot denser than most others. I had a guy down on the peninsula about two years ago stick a brownie with his bow at 19 yards, he hit it a little high and the broadhead lodged between the ribs, 70lb draw, Montec heads but the ribs didn't flex enough to let the broadhead in, obviously it was a high shot but if it had gotten thru it woulda killed it. back up rifle shot ended the game.
    To not carry a gun in case something goes bad borders on unthecal and more pride or ego than common sense. crap happens sometimes, make a bad shot, gust of wind, twitch of the bear, equitment problems, piece of brush, you name it and wound the bear and watch him run off with that arrow sticking out him...comes back to being a hunter or just killing stuff to brag about it. put the thing down if you know your arrow ain't gonna do it. once you draw blood and wound an animal have the proper gear there to dispatch it if you can't do it with the bow...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

To not carry a gun in case something goes bad borders on unthecal and more pride or ego than common sense. crap happens sometimes, make a bad shot, gust of wind, twitch of the bear, equitment problems, piece of brush, you name it and wound the bear and watch him run off with that arrow sticking out him...comes back to being a hunter or just killing stuff to brag about it. put the thing down if you know your arrow ain't gonna do it. once you draw blood and wound an animal have the proper gear there to dispatch it if you can't do it with the bow...

So what you're telling me is I need to carry a gun for every bowhunting adventure I enter the woods in? This mindset is hogwash. A typical non bowHUNTERS mentality. Mind you there are two kinds of people, bowhunters and those who hunt with a bow when it comes to sliver slingers in my book. I know where I fall.

There is no ego involved. We love hunting grizzlies with no firearms for backups. I hunt sheep with no firearms for backups, I hunt moose with no firearms for backups, I have hunted elk again with no firearms for backups. black bears caribou whitetails, black tails, turkey, predators, upland game, etc etc etc..........

I owe it to the animal to NOT wound it with a bow!!! is hunting with a rifle any different? You make every effort do do your job with the weapon you choose or you dont belong hunting at all! Then again that might be bordering on the common sense part..........

But thanks for telling me what to do after 17 years of being a bowhunter, I really enjoy being called just short of a slob bowhunter! Again thanks.

Sorry, I'm not a bragging bowhunter! You'll see my name no where but on a few boards looking for info or giving it. This includes no record books in which a few of the animals that have been killed by my bow would have "qualified" for. I am a bowhunter because I love it, period!!!!

wow ok......
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

TradBow,

I think Brwnbr was saying is that "in the chance" that say someone hit a rib or other bone and had little to no penetration you have a wounded bear on your hands and lets say that bear starts running and of course is instantly out of range of a bow and you still have a wounded bear out there and you owe it to the bear to finish the job you started. Bears long hair and fat will sometimes make a very light and sometimes impossible blood trail to follow thus decreasing the odds of finding the wounded bear. A rifle would certainly make putting that bear down quickly and in a humane manner much easier provided the person behind the scope did their part.

Doug

KAHAHAWAI-
    i've never been successful but have backed up two successful bowhunting friends for grizzly on the slope in the fall. it is very doable but not easy...... usually.
    north of coldfoot would be good areas for spot and stalk in the spring also denali hwy ( officially- actually brown bears there, if makes difference) open areas where you can glass vast areas to me would be the way to do it.
    I have not heard if they will be having baiting near Tok for griz this spring, you might check that. also predatory calling might work.
    good luck and thanx for your service.
    i will be chasing brownies along the gulf this spring and will have my 500 SW on my side. i just figure i owe it to my family to try my best to not get scuffed up and make it home if things go wrong. i sure hope that does not make me any less of a bowhunter , if i found that out after bowhunting 30+ years i would be shocked and sad ........but some folks think your less of a bowhunter if it is not using a stick bow.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Its not too terribly hard. You probably will have more blown stalks than successful but that goes without saying. If it was me I would have backup. When they chargee they come quick, real quick.

My intention isn't to stir the pot but Timothy didn't think he needed a gun either. I suppose my personal safety is #1. Then again if I was to go, I'd rather be doing what I enjoy.

AKB,

Mr TT played with bears. Need I say more?

Doug,

that could be said for any game animal!!! The only difference here is the chomp factor. Think I said it before, doing the best ya can with what ya got or you dont belong in the woods. Guess I cant see carrying a firearm just in case I make a mistake with my bow, I am a bowhunter, that is the responsibility I've taken. It's part of bowhunting, as it is with muzzle loading but you dont see Jim Shockey running around with firearm on his back just incase his one shot rifle wounds an animal? Sorry I can't justify what was said, not in the least!

Wink When things are less than perfect!

Having bowhunted a bit 38 years, you get to form some opinions so I"ll put in my 2 cents. To say a bow, any bow can"'t kill an animal is foolishness, it has been done many times over! To go armed , or not armed is a personal choice. But I also believe that when an arrow is loosed, things can happen, like an animal jumping the string. You can call it what you want, but if you bowhunt long enough it will happen! This turns your perfect shot, into a longer tracking job. In the case of a grizzly, it might be in very close, among the alders, which i"m led to believe they love so well! IF you use a stick bow with home made arrows, or the new high tech type with carbons those are your choices. What ever our choices recurve, longbow, armed or not, it"s an argument no one can win, but can be used to drive others away! I"m sorry to see that what ever opinion we have we think that a line has to be drawn in the sand! I used to think this way but i"m getting older now, and when I run into an animal that has been taken by a bow hunter, gun hunter, handgun hunter it"s much more fun to say congrads!Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I just deleted a very long post and decided to simply say this,

I do not ever see this as a debate either side will win because as has been said it comes down to personal choice and I will always support every bowhunters right to hunt with a bow as I will do the same for rifle and muzzleloader hunters. Although I may disagree with certain things I will let others play them out as we are all hunters regardless of our choice of weapon and the more we divide the more room for the bad guys to jump in and attempt to seperate.

Ok, I am done. Lets all go hunting with whatever you choose to hunt with, I am getting antsy and ready to go bear hunting.

Doug

Default bow VS rifle

I agree with Longhunter7's post. But I too would like to hunt the big bear with bow only. But I am a non-resident and have to have a guide. I have talked with BRWNBR about this, and do not believe there is a guide in Alaska that will back up with a bow. So I might have to be resigned to having a gun on my hunt, unless I move to Alaska and do a hunt on my own. I do not thing the Wife is going to allow me to move the the great state of Alaska. I keep tring to convince her to move there but she does not want to be away from our granddaughter.

The only thing I hope is the guide has good nerves and is not trigger happy. I understand that if my shot is off he must put the animal down, we do not want a wounded animal (big bear) on the loose. There is nothing more that I would hate is to make a great shot on a bear and the guide shoot him with a rifle, the reason for the shot, who knows, maybe nerves maybe he doesn't care what the hunter wants. May think the hunter shot the bear with a bow and that is good enough. Nobody knows what is going to happen when stress is a factor in anything.

Everybody has there wants and wishes and no reason to debate on right, wrong or indifferent, we are all here to have a good time and enjoy what we love. HUNTING. Everyone have a great year and enjoy which ever way you like to hunt.

Barko

I'll throw my $.02 in here as well. I stalked a very large interior griz choclate brown in color a couple years ago and at 25 yards took a beautiful broadside shot, only to have a mechanical failure of my drop away rest. The arrow ricochet'd off the ground and missed the bear completely. Now here me and my pard were 25 yards from a very alert and unharmed griz woofing at me with significant discontent to our presence. We had a backup gun and it was only there to make sure both of us returned home after the hunt to our wives and children. Have been bluff charged before doing this very type of hunting and teh truth is that it is very hard to sneak up on a griz, there noses are very keen and they generally want to get as far from you as possible in a hurry. But on any given day you might cross that one bear that has a change of plans. I have no fear of griz, but I do have respect for them and common sense. Griz are not ungulates and that must be remembered. I will hunt them again this year with a bow and will assuredly have something on me or in my pards hands should the situation take a turn for the worse. Sticking a charging bear with a bow though exciting will be very innefective in assuring your safety. The call is yours to make but I would set aside ego and pride and think about those that care about you near and far.Oh and good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast