Thread: Deshka or Little Su?

Default Deshka or Little Su?

Coming up this week. Which one do you think is going to give me the best chance for success?

I'll be using a guide/boat.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Coming up this week. Which one do you think is going to give me the best chance for success?

I'll be using a guide/boat.
    From the reports here I would say Deshka.

I fished both yesterday. Deshka at 6:00 am and we both got kings. About 20 lbs each. Didn't keep either of them. Then at about 7:30 it was dead. Ran upstream and helped get a 22 foot thunderjet out of a creek with no water in it. Then about 1:00 decided to meet my family down at little su. There was 17 on the board when we got there and including the 2 we got there 31 when we left at about 7:30. Fish in both rivers but the Deshka was packed. 100 plus boats at the mouth. Good luck and have fun! Just my experience I thought id share with ya.

I spent half the day there yesterday (morning to afternoon) and saw 2 rolls. Mind you this was down from the boat launch. No bites, no nibbles, just a couple rolls. Didn't see anyone walking back with anything. Anything that came in was off a boat from folks who went further down river. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, the Little Su is dead.

On the bright side, I was with my son and my best friend and it was a great day to be outside in Alaska.

I fished the deshka yesterday from 6:30-1:30. My brother in law caught a small one around 7 and I put a 20lb one in the boat at 11:30. It was pretty slow compared to last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    I fished the deshka yesterday from 6:30-1:30. My brother in law caught a small one around 7 and I put a 20lb one in the boat at 11:30. It was pretty slow compared to last Saturday.
    no kidding the comm guys screwed every thing up! Now the only way your going to get fish is if you go up stream aways and it was really low sunday so be careful!

It was low. It looked a couple of feet lower at the mouth than it was the Saturday before. I can't imagine how low it was up river. Good luck out there and be safe.

Very low water upriver and lots of rocks showing.
    BK

Fished the Deshka mouth from 6 am to about 11:30 am with nothing. Good bite on at 6-6:20, lost one after a couple minutes with him and had two more good hits in that time, then it just went dead. Only a couple more hits on my eggs all morning. The guy with me mostly threw hardware and had a few hits but nothing there either. Only about 1/3 the boat numbers at the mouth as we saw there Thursday. Have no idea if the fishing was better upstream, I guess next time will head up. Maybe the rain this moring will bring in some fresh fish. Saw a number of fish caught around us but almost all appeared to be less then 10 lbs, only one maybe approched 20. I'm new to fishing Deshka and expected larger fish. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Fished the Deshka mouth from 6 am to about 11:30 am with nothing. Good bite on at 6-6:20, lost one after a couple minutes with him and had two more good hits in that time, then it just went dead. Only a couple more hits on my eggs all morning. The guy with me mostly threw hardware and had a few hits but nothing there either. Only about 1/3 the boat numbers at the mouth as we saw there Thursday. Have no idea if the fishing was better upstream, I guess next time will head up. Maybe the rain this moring will bring in some fresh fish. Saw a number of fish caught around us but almost all appeared to be less then 10 lbs, only one maybe approched 20. I'm new to fishing Deshka and expected larger fish. Bud
    Well the fishing "should be a lot better" typically this time of the year the run should be in ful swing. If you are checking the counts about 7-8 hundred fish have crossed the weir for the last 4 days or so. So for my money I would head up stream but be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!!! The weir is 9 miles up from the mouth so to me I would think all those fish enterd the river that day, but it seems the low water has them holding in deep holes between the mouth and the weir.......... But who knows I tend to doubt that the fish are making it past all the boats but who knows?????

Went out on the Deshka Monday. Went through the mouth at 4:00am literally putted through and saw no rollers or any kind of activity. Yes the water is low. Clicked a little in two spots going up that normally have enough water to get through with out a problem. I went up about 5 miles. A few fish but they were on the move and not really interested in jewelry or eggs. Did manage to get one fish. Came back through the mouth around 11am, maybe 50 boats and no activity splash wise.

Got 1 this Am. around 20#, pretty fresh, good silver color. (Lot fewer boats than last Frid). 1 other hit.
    Slow, but a few being caught. mostly 20lb +/- class.

Read Little su closing friday. Deshka only choice between the 2 this coming weekend.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...o.R2&year=2011