Thread: DM 408 Cow Permit

Default DM 408 Cow Permit

I have a cow permit for DM 408 but have no idea how to access the huntable areas in the Matanuska River bed near Sutton. Does anyone have any ideas or help direct me to other huntable areas.

I won that permit last year, never did punch the tag(more so because of my lack of hunting time I had last year, was out of state). Access isn't easy, there is alot of native land and private land you have to deal with. If you go to the end of Clark-Wolverine road, there is a easement trail for ATVs and such that starts and brings you to stateland. It is quite a ways in though, I almost made it to the stateland but I had a late start in the day and was loosing day light so had to turn around. There is supposedly a RS-2477 trail off of Clark-wolverine road as well, I thought I found it but it looked like a private drive to me so I didn't venture in it. You can also access via the Lazy mountain trail or a trail at the end of smith road(which I believe are non motorized only). I wish I had the time to have put in for this hunt last year, it is possible to get a moose in there but as said, the access is hard unless you know some farmers out that way. This is just my experience, i'm sure others may have better info for you about this area.

Here is a link to some info on that RS2477 trail I was talking about:
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw//trails/rs...ILE_NUMBER=447

Just take Clark-Wolverine in and hunt back in there on state land. Most of the private land is well posted. You can see the trail on Google Earth. Make sure you have a 4x4 4 wheeler and a winch that trail gets nasty with water!

I have driven the Clark Wolverine Road to the a creek bed camp site past an air strip. But, I really want to find my way down to the Matanuska River bed just about a mile North of the airstrip. Due to the heavy forest and brush, I couldn't find my way down. Do you know of any access the the Matanuska river bed from the south side of the river? I know there is some public land down there just south at Sutton.

Why are you so intent on hunting the river bed? I have driven the Glenn a lot and never seen a moose in river bed.

If you want to hunt the river bed get a raft and float it, its done all summer long.

No I do not know of a trail that goes down that way.

I don't know the area at all and was told by a few people that the riverbed is the place to go. Of course, they couldn't tell me how to get down there. I just figured the more open area would provide better glassing opportunities. Am I wrong? Just trying to get my cow this year. That being said, I had a bit of trouble finding where the private land stops and the state land starts. Is there any specific landmark past the airstrip that you can tell me about?

Any chance you could fly the area? (just guessing by your forum name)

Good detective work; yes I am an airline pilot but I haven't flown a light aircraft in years. I would want a little training before I chose to go down that route and I don't have access to an appropriate aircraft. But, it is a great thought that has crossed my mind.

I looked for a trail going down to the river too but never had any luck. There was a trail at the end of a farm pasture(the farm right past the sharp right turn in road) but i'm pretty sure it was private. Knocking on some doors might get you somewhere...but there is plenty of land at the end of the easement trail to hunt and definitely some moose to be had.

You can launch a raft where Chickaloon river dumps into the Matanuska. Then stop & hunt likely looking areas. That's what we di& we were successful. MET

LOL you all kill me... There is one fella that knows this area I won't say his name but he also warned us about the Matnuska as well. Bronco likes to think it is all a cat1 river all they to the knik and he can float it in his innertube but like I was warned 3 yrs ago BE CAREFULL if you decide to float the Mat!... Anyhow once you get past the airstrip you can go oh about 2-3 miles you will hit two more creek drainages and I guess walk down to the Matnuska or you can ride to the creek, park your wheelers and hump the rest of the way on the trail and hunt... But letting you know now we were told that huge group of Russians head up there every year for moose season don't know if the locals that hunt this area told us this to keep us away or what but they said it is a big crew that goes back there... So in the end know one elase really goes abck thier due to this big hunting party back there.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    LOL you all kill me... There is one fella that knows this area I won't say his name but he also warned us about the Matnuska as well. Bronco likes to think it is all a cat1 river all they to the knik and he can float it in his innertube but like I was warned 3 yrs ago BE CAREFULL if you decide to float the Mat!... Anyhow once you get past the airstrip you can go oh about 2-3 miles you will hit two more creek drainages and I guess walk down to the Matnuska or you can ride to the creek, park your wheelers and hump the rest of the way on the trail and hunt... But letting you know now we were told that huge group of Russians head up there every year for moose season don't know if the locals that hunt this area told us this to keep us away or what but they said it is a big crew that goes back there... So in the end know one elase really goes abck thier due to this big hunting party back there.

Oh here we go with the crazy Russian conspiracies again! I wouldn't let anyone much less a bunch of Russians keep me from hunting, well maybe some unfriendly residents of Chickaloon.

I guess you better get that 900x16 innertube blown up and float the Matnuska... I will pick you up at the bridge in Palmer...