Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need mechanic recommendation for boat trailer axle!

Default Need mechanic recommendation for boat trailer axle!

I lost the bearings in my trailer while towing it home from the lake today, and fortunately it did totally come off. Didn't notice it until I got home but now need a new axle. anyone know of a good mechanic in the Wasilla area that will do the job right?
    Thanks for the help!

Go to six roblees, and you will be that mechanic. Its simple, and its way cheaper to do it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I lost the bearings in my trailer while towing it home from the lake today, and fortunately it did totally come off. Didn't notice it until I got home but now need a new axle. anyone know of a good mechanic in the Wasilla area that will do the job right?
    Thanks for the help!

It doesn't look overly complex, but my concern was getting the right axle and components(measurements, etc.)

How did the bearings take out the axle? Are the spindles not removable? Does someone have a hood ornament shaped like your axle?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Take it apart and post pics.... we can save you lots of money!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Unless you ground down the spindle when the bearings went out you should be able to just replace the bearings ($20-30) and get back on the water.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

The bearings are long gone and the spindle is pretty well chewed up. spindles are welded. I had it apart but put it back together figuring I will need to get it towed on a flatbed. I can take it apart again and get some pics posted.

I took it apart but can't figure out how to attach pics. When I click the "insert image" button, all I get is a URL address box?
    Spindle definitely is chewed up/gouged.

Depending on the size of the axle, it is often cheaper to just replace the whole axle than cut/weld a new spindle. Go talk to the guys at Six Roblees. They will tell you how to measure and identify what you need. On the simplest axles with arched springs and no brakes it is only 8 nuts to remove the u-bolts from the springs, remove the axle, and slide in the new one. Easy if you have the tools.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I wish I was going to be here. I would help you change it out. If it's torision just change the spindle. Leaf spring all depends how they put the spindle on the axle. Many folks do not care a whole lot for 6 Roblees but they have always been very good about getting folks what they need, just sometimes their price maybe a little hard to swallow, but then again you get what you pay for.

I'll take the old axle if you are willing to part with it. I need to make a new yard trailer for hauling firewood. If any one else has a spare or rebuildable one hanging around, I would like to make my yard trailer a dual axle.

Closest axle is Seattle...I'll give a shot installing it myself toward the end of the month. Thanks for the guidance.
    If you are interested in the axle, I won't be needing it. Send me your contact info and I'll let you know when I have it out.

I would suggest you check out some other place than SixROBlees.. With that name you are gonna get ROBBED... At least up here in FBX... Really overpriced, and heck they won't even spin on a ball when you buy the whole thing from them..

Sorry not a fan of getting ROBbed... If you want specifics... PM me.

I have had minimal dealing with 6rob but the guy in the valley was very friendly and he had what I needed and sent me on my way with a smile. Nice to see someone in the valley doing things right... The old way was just to "borrow" the part you need from someones parked trailer. Heck in the mid 90's you couldn't park a K5 blazer for more than 3 days without someone "borrowing" your driveline!

Default prices and welding spring saddles?

Price I was quoted was just over $300 for a new axle, bearings, seals and hubs. That didn't seem overly pricey to me. Guy at Wasilla was very nice and helpful...

So, do I need to tack weld the spring saddles on the axle? and if so, can that be done last or should that be done first?

I'll be picking up the parts and working it later this week. Wish me luck.

Thanks.

I am back....pm if you need a free hand.

You can also try 6 states or trailer craft for parts. Im sure there are others but I cant think of them right now.

Well peaceman is back on the road. He was correct on his intial assement. Got a new one under there today. His was one of the easiest to do......he even had the fore thought to soak them nuts real well to get them loose.

Glad I could ~help~ was great meeting you.

Thanks for the hand! Now I can say I could do it alone with no problem. Might as well pull the bearings out of my other trailer and make sure they are good to go.

If not real sure, it never hurts to ask for an extra hand. Do like we were talking and you will wear out the boat before you a trailer issue again.

Any luck with the truck?

Said they wouldn't have touched that part, but are willing to cover the labor none the less. I'm pretty happy with that. Hopefully be ready on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast