Thread: Urethane coatings for inflatables?

Default Urethane coatings for inflatables?

Are there any good do it yourself urethane coatings? I have an 18' Achilles SU that I would like to do the bottom on. Or at least some sort of coating to cover all the scratches and threads that are showing. Any suggestions? Paying someone to do it is out of the question.

Get with Mark AR&K they sell it if you happen to be in the Anc area which I am assuming you are. Jim at D Rafting Advnetures gets it from there or at least has in the past.

Is it worth doing? Just looking for those whom have done it.

That my freind is a personal choice. Jim seems to think it does and runs a commercial fleet of Avons (So) one would think it does.

It makes a world of difference. My 1985 zodiac GRIII had a bottom that looked like pamela anderson's in 1992...after a few trips on the sound and beach camping I noticed that the bottom was getting some scratches on it from coral and rocks - and I was pretty gentle with it. I had ARC put eurathane on the bottom of it as a preventative measure. It doesn't scratch. It is about 750-1000$ to do my 16 foot zodiac up to the splash guards depending on preperation.

Study up on the eurethane application process prior to putting it on. You have to sand first, then glue, then glue again, then put down the eurethane. You need a garage and low humidity and steady temps. Not rocket science but messy and if you do it wrong you get to do it again.

Default Urethane Availability

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Are there any good do it yourself urethane coatings? I have an 18' Achilles SU that I would like to do the bottom on. Or at least some sort of coating to cover all the scratches and threads that are showing. Any suggestions? Paying someone to do it is out of the question.
    Mr. Bronco,

I am confident that I can walk you through the process of doing the job yourself. At least I should be; I had fabric specific urethane formulated for me more than twenty years ago and have applied many barrels of the stuff!

Take care,

Tracey Harmon
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 06-14-2011 at 11:08.

Bronco,

Liquid urethane coating is available from several vendors in Alaska; check around for the best value in terms of quality product and advice on how to use it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Boat repair

My poor boat was wounded on the Little Su, is there any place in the valley that sells Urethane? I have a trip planned for tommorow and do not have time to go into Anchorage. Any suggestions for a temporary fix? The gash is 10 inches long, and I am planning on putting a interior patch in it, but not sure about the exterior portion.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Boat repair question

With good cleaning & sanding, will aquaseal work for inner patches? I think a patch on the outside would get ripped off after a few trips, so Urathane might work best. But, will a bead of aquaseal inhibit a correct fix, down the road, or is it hard to remove or patch over?
    If any of you, fix a flat guys, can send a how to do a fixer-upper, it would be much appreciated. I have to make a choice tonight.
    Mark

Is it rubber or plastic? If you are looking for a temporary fix I would put tape on both sides - different kinds for rubber vs. plastic. Call ARK and they can give you the name brand - I am drawing a blank right now. You should be able to find the tape in the valley.

You shouldn't mix hypalon fixes with plastic fixes...I don't know about aquaseal inhibiting a future correct fix - but it would not be a stretch of the imagination for it to do so.