Thread: Classic Footage Of Devil's Canyon Of The Susitna

Default Classic Footage Of Devil's Canyon Of The Susitna

This has been around for awhile, but fun to watch nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fWx9...eature=related

how often do groups run the canyon on the susitna? I can't imagine it is very often. I don't of any outfitters that run it.

Considering all the bad stretches of whitewater in the country, would veterans and experts say this is the worst or one of the worst?

Hey Mate thanks for the video -- knew Walt well, built his raft frames a long time ago. Great fun guy, who didn't start boating until he was in his 40's, also was a very good MD.
    A lot to be said about those old "LEPMEND" glass kayaks.
    Goo

Default New Runs

Last week I talked to Jeff Sheldon who ran Devils Canyon at 26,000 cfs with a portage of Devil Creek rapid and Hotel Rock. At any rate, they are planning on running the river again this summer, and plan on bringing out footage for everyone to enjoy.
    Hopefully, the footage will not be the last before the devil is tamed by the proposed **** in Wantona Canyon.

Default Cody

I had asked Jeff what was his favorite river, and he said the Susitna. I also asked him if Embick nailed the description, and again he said **** YES.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

That was cool. My wife said "why would anyone do that?" - my only thought was that I want to go there.

The best part had to be their helmets. I'm pretty sure there was a hockey helmet in there.

That was some crazy stuff right there. Very cool. Love the classics.

Mark, I believe the proposed Watana Canyon dam is above Devil's Canyon. Not sure I should support the dam or not, but it actually should make access to Devil's Canyon easier.

Can you believe Don did it in a floatplane..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I cant stop watching this! I wonder if I could be the first decent in a packraft .. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Can you believe Don did it in a floatplane..lol
    I'd like to see video of that!

I couldn't find Steve Mahay's ascent in his jet boat in tht 80s. Remember when they televised that? Anyone have a link to the footage?
    Tim

Default Proposed Wantana Dam.

Your right Jim. I guess some kayakers are in panic mode,because the dam is supposed to cut the summer flows in half. We would automatically think this would open up the river to more boaters, but I have read and have been told that some of the holes are bad at lower water, in the lower sections(maybe pearly gates).

I know of two groups going this year, so there should be some exciting footage brought back.

I can't remember where I read it, but there is a report out explaining their plan for the dam.

Default A good run

If you guys want to see video of someone, with better skill, running the river, watch Oil+water video. Seth Warren and Tyler Bradt brought out some amazing footage, and some of it really displays the massive rapids, in all their glory.

I just like the couple of times when you see the guy go into a set and the camera pans down trying to spot where they come up, but never does locate them, so the shot fades out and goes to another clip.

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. Has anyone ever successfully rafted it, or even attempted to, for that matter?

Bob Blackadar, Walt's son tried to do it in an old military non-bailing raft back in the early 70's, helicopter had to pull him out. Jerry Jaques said he has done it----but I question his claim -- only my opinion-
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. Has anyone ever successfully rafted it, or even attempted to, for that matter?
    I believe Mark Cramer ran it five or six years ago in a cat.

Cramer did run it in a cat....crazy ****
    Here is a link to very recent footage: