Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: My first center fire rifle goes on a diet

  1. #1

    Default My first center fire rifle goes on a diet

    When I was 13 years old my dad bought me a Remington Model 7 in .308. Since then I have shot many moose, caribou, and even a couple grizzly bears with it. Around 21 years old I got bit by the magnum bug and the rifle seldom got used, until I got married. Now my wife uses this rifle exlusively has her hunting rifle. Originally I had the LOP cut down to 12.5 to better fit her with a limbsaver grind to fit. Since then she has taken a moose and a couple caribou with it and even a black bear.

    I contemplated getting her a Kimber Montana in .308 like mine to lighten her load by a pound but had a hard time believing I could sell the rifle my pops bought me 14 years ago so I bit the bullet and picked up a McMillian Edge stock and dropped the rifles weight by 12 oz (original stock is 36 oz the MCM Edge is 24 oz both with limbsaver pads and sling studs).

    So now I got the best of both worlds, my wife gets to keep the rifle she has grown to call "her own" (and I'll let her continue to think that) and I get to keep the rifle that my dad bought me in the family for as long as I care to while still dropping some weight off the model 7 platform.

    Granted its still 5 oz heavier than the Kimber 84 Montana in .308 setup the same way with scope and rings (Kimber is 95 oz and Remington Model 7 100 oz on the nose) but the weight savings is nice and the rifle looks great and she couldn't be happier. Both are sweet little rifles and the ability to share ammo never hurts

    To date it still has taken more big game animals than all my other rifles combined.

    Here is a pic of what the rifle looked like before:


    Here is what it looks like now:



    Even got my wife to stop working on our new deck long enough to pose with her upgraded rifle:

  2. #2

    Default

    Nice.........the rifle also is nice.

  3. #3
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    I like the tan Edge a lot. It's a nice setup. For around $30 you could lose another 1.5 ounces by switching to an aluminum bolt shroud (LINK). It's an easy swap if you have a spring compressor (I'll loan you mine if you'd like) and for the money the reduction in weight is much cheaper than the McMillan. It would get you with in a 1/4 pound of the Montana...

    Regardless, I'm loving your Model 7.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  4. #4
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    How much $$$ did the diet plan cost? I would like to go a similar route with my boys rifle. Have you shot it yet? Any difference in recoil or accuracy?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Awesome rig there Sir...

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Not needing the crutch will equal a pound saved
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  7. #7
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Very nice, Luke! Is the POI still the same and did you bed the stock? Those McMillan EDGE stocks are the best out there, IMO. No other stock maker gives you the amount of options to choose or pick when ordering/building a stock. I got another one on the way now for my 7mm wsm and will post a picture as well...

  8. #8
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Very well done - only thing I think is "pink" might have been a better color choice for the pretty lady!
    A great way to keep a cherished memory alive!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Very nice, Luke! Is the POI still the same and did you bed the stock? Those McMillan EDGE stocks are the best out there, IMO. No other stock maker gives you the amount of options to choose or pick when ordering/building a stock. I got another one on the way now for my 7mm wsm and will post a picture as well...
    Where do you buy them........?

  10. #10
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Where do you buy them........?
    From Rick (24hourcampfire.com). The price tag might or might not spook you, as they run ($$$) about the same price as what the average joe's rifle would cost...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    From Rick (24hourcampfire.com). The price tag might or might not spook you, as they run ($$$) about the same price as what the average joe's rifle would cost...
    Thanks.....

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Very well done - only thing I think is "pink" might have been a better color choice for the pretty lady!
    A great way to keep a cherished memory alive!
    Nah,

    She doesn't like pink for her hunting stuff....

    Glad to give the heirloom a face lift and keep the gun around. While NOT cheap certainly worth the upgrade to keep the gun in the fam. If looking to just save weight out of the gate the Kimber Montana is impossible to beat bar none. If you can find another rifle that costs right at $1K for only 5 pounds 2 oz with CRF and 3 position safety let me know.

  13. #13
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Your old rifle looks great Luke glad you decided to keep it in the family!

  14. #14
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    You forgot the bolt fluting

    Maybe northriver21 could weigh his SS Mod Seven bolt for us to see how much our bolts lost in weight after fluting...

  15. #15
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You forgot the bolt fluting

    Maybe northriver21 could weigh his SS Mod Seven bolt for us to see how much our bolts lost in weight after fluting...
    If you guys have a scale, then you’re welcome to compare them. My bathroom scale probably wouldn’t work too well.

    I did some research into the stocks, (since Lanche did not reply ) for the money I'm guessing he spent, I think we'll hold out for the 84M.

    BTW hunt_ak, I got that little project done....Whew what a chore that was. I was in a hurry in case you guys called, but I guess it didn’t work out. We'll try again some other time.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    If you guys have a scale, then you’re welcome to compare them. My bathroom scale probably wouldn’t work too well.

    I did some research into the stocks, (since Lanche did not reply ) for the money I'm guessing he spent, I think we'll hold out for the 84M.

    BTW hunt_ak, I got that little project done....Whew what a chore that was. I was in a hurry in case you guys called, but I guess it didn’t work out. We'll try again some other time.
    HAHA...yeah sorry about that. Just goes to show what a great deal those Kimber Montanas are in 84 as a lightweight rifle. Hard to beat 5 pounds 2 oz rifle right out of the box for less than putting a McMillian and what not on a Remington Model 7. Honestly I thought of going that route but since its my first center fire rifle I kinda gotta keep it in the action while still giving it some style points.

  17. #17
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    I don't blame you there I would have done the same in your situation.

    The difference for us is your wife is done growing and my boy is just getting bigger, so I don't need to downsize or lighten the rifle. If just for style points the $$$ I spend is going to have to be for new iron.

    I do have and old heirloom rifle that I would like to give a makeover without changing too much... It's been on my list of things to talk to hunt_ak about for a while now.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    HAHA...yeah sorry about that. Just goes to show what a great deal those Kimber Montanas are in 84 as a lightweight rifle. Hard to beat 5 pounds 2 oz rifle right out of the box for less than putting a McMillian and what not on a Remington Model 7. Honestly I thought of going that route but since its my first center fire rifle I kinda gotta keep it in the action while still giving it some style points.
    Is there a down side or short coming to the Kimber Montana rifles...? If this should be a new thread please tell me to do that.

  19. #19
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there a down side or short coming to the Kimber Montana rifles...? If this should be a new thread please tell me to do that.
    I dont think thats what he's trying to say at all. What Lanche is talking about is for the $$ he has into the modified model 7, he could have a 84M with CRF, 3 position safety and very similar weight. His Model 7 is sentimental so he was willing to put in the $$ to keep it in the family and use it more often.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I dont think thats what he's trying to say at all. What Lanche is talking about is for the $$ he has into the modified model 7, he could have a 84M with CRF, 3 position safety and very similar weight. His Model 7 is sentimental so he was willing to put in the $$ to keep it in the family and use it more often.
    No, No, No..... sorry. My question was only about any short comings of the Kimber Montana. I have never been a light rifle fan (For Myself) but now that I am a fat old man, I am starting to become attracted to a .308 Montana, partly because I don't own a .308 but have a lot of .308 ammo. Also looking at $600.00 hard money for a stock upgrade my M-70 in .243 has me thinking keep the M-70 and buy a Kimber also. OK, I'll say it, every-time I fondle the Montana it feels fragile. That was the root of my question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •