Thread: Is this DVD any good for training yellow dogs???????

Question Is this DVD any good for training yellow dogs???????

Saw this online and wondered if any of you are familiar with it. My 8 month yellow dog is eager to please. He retrieves on a two short whistle command and drops with a one short whistle blow.

Since I have no idea what I'm doing...I thought I'd ask...since it would be a shame not to train my yellow boy....he is a good dog!

Thanks in advance.....

FF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

I can't see anything from that small picture. Who did it?

What are your goals for your dog? If you want to do retriever hunting tests or field trials, you'll need a program with good basics in order to reach the upper levels.

I do want to mention that retriever training is like most things. The more you put into it the more you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I can't see anything from that small picture. Who did it?

What are your goals for your dog? If you want to do retriever hunting tests or field trials, you'll need a program with good basics in order to reach the upper levels.

I do want to mention that retriever training is like most things. The more you put into it the more you get out.
    Here is the blurb from online. "Dog expert Mike Mathiot offers a comprehensive two-part program designed to train your retriever as a hunting companion, from basic skills for puppies through advanced training for older dogs. Lessons for dogs 10 weeks and older include socialization, leash training, sit and stay commands, and an introduction to water and birds. Advanced lessons for dogs 21 weeks and older include multiple and long-range retrieves, advanced obedience and more."

I think I may rent it or see if the library has one before purchasing.

I want to have the option of hunting him for birds...ducks...geese.... He's just such a smart guy. He's a pet...but it seems that it would be a good thing for him and for me to have him train for hunting.

Thanks for any insights. Appreciate your expertise.

FF

I've never heard of Mike Mathiot or his video. I think it's a reissue of an old VHS video. After a quickee internet search it doesn't appear that he plays, or at least hasn't in some time played my game.

I would check out the library and you also might check out Mountain View Sports, they used to rent out retreiver/dog training videos. Maybe the video rental places are worth checking out also, I don't know.

If you want good solid basics on a retriever probably the best bet would be to get Hillman's puppy raising/training video and the Total Retriever Training video by Mike Lardy. These are both geared to field trial competition and retriever hunting test types, and are priced accordingly. But if you follow both vidoes you'll have one nicely trained dog at 2 years old.

Anybody else have any recommendations of retriever training vidoes?

Thank you Howard...I appreciate the helpful ideas and leads. My dog is 8 months but has had basic training. I know it's probably a bit late to start training for retrieving...but I'd like to try. I think it would be a great sport for both he and I. He is really responding to the whistle. It's a good tool.

FF

At 8 months old he should be on a good step by step program and that's about the right time to start retriever training.

Either Smartworks or Total Retriever Training are good. http://www.totalretriever.com/ http://www.rushcreekpress.com/

I think the Smartworks stuff at rush creek press is more geared to beginners. 'Course, they both cost.

Good luck, there's lots of retriever training advice at the retriever training forum http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/

I used Evan Grahams Smart Fetch system to start off with, and due to the fact that I did not know my dog very well (first lab training ever) I messed up with the collar conditioning process that Smart Fetch/Work uses on young dogs. After being around people like Howard and Baron, people that have trained many dogs, I soon discovered that my dog is really soft and cannot take a lot of pressure. My lack of knowledge about dog behavior compounded some of her "problems". Baron resolved much of them last summer, but he can't do much about my problem of not having much experience.

The Smart Fetch/Work system has a huge following due to Evan's presence on-line. He offers a lot of support to the folks that use his system. However, since most of that support is out in the public you will also have to deal with the people that worship Smart Fetch/Work. Those folks can be a big pain in the rear. Evan is great, the people that worship him and his system.....lord help you if you ask a question that does not fit into their perfect world. I found it best to search out Evan's posts on the retriever training forums since he has answered thousand of questions, and more than likely any question you may have will be on there with a huge amount of supporting details.

He also has a huge following on the Duckhunters Refuge forums under the dog training part. Some of the folks on that forum think Evan is a god and Smart Fetch is the final say in training. Its hard to read through at times especially when one of his disciples gets into an argument with one of his detractors.

Up here I have met many folks that swear by the Lardy DVDs and his system for getting started. After viewing one of them during a retriever club meeting I would recommend that system. The information is well presented and easy to follow.

The Midnight Sun Gun Dog club has a library for members to borrow from that has both Smart Fetch/Work and the Lardy systems as well as other training resources.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Fishing Farmgirl , Most of the books and tapes are usually fine for introductions but seeing and doing complete the circle. There are tons of tapes and books and all have something but they may only offer a few options. I meet up occasionally with some ladies in the valley to do some easy, no pressure retrieving with a small number of dogs if you want to join us. We can do what your dog is ready to do and see how he responds to birds. I have an 8 yr old Lab and a rescued 20 mos old male Wirehaired Retriever (thats what Im calling him anyway:-/ who is really retrieving well but learning late and getting over some bad habits as well. 8 mos is not too late at all if he has the drive. As I saw with my young male, the more I do the more he wants, like a light bulb goes on. Just email me at alaskadognews@mtaonline.net
    Linda Henning - publisher www.alaskadognews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Fishing Farmgirl , Most of the books and tapes are usually fine for introductions but seeing and doing complete the circle. There are tons of tapes and books and all have something but they may only offer a few options. I meet up occasionally with some ladies in the valley to do some easy, no pressure retrieving with a small number of dogs if you want to join us. We can do what your dog is ready to do and see how he responds to birds. I have an 8 yr old Lab and a rescued 20 mos old male Wirehaired Retriever (thats what Im calling him anyway:-/ who is really retrieving well but learning late and getting over some bad habits as well. 8 mos is not too late at all if he has the drive. As I saw with my young male, the more I do the more he wants, like a light bulb goes on. Just email me at alaskadognews@mtaonline.net
    Linda Henning - publisher www.alaskadognews.com
    Thanks Linda. I will take you up on that offer me thinks. Just recovering from a surgery and waiting for results...so life is a bit tentative currently. Sounds like a GREAT plan!

FF