Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deshka landing entertainment!

Default Deshka landing entertainment!

Was at Deshka getting lumber yesterday and decided that I should talk the office into setting up chairs and selling popcorn for the weekend at the landing! The drive down and past the Deshka was only slightly less entertaining! I'ts a wonder there isnt anymore train wrecks than there are! YAHOO MAT-SU!

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Was at Deshka getting lumber yesterday and decided that I should talk the office into setting up chairs and selling popcorn for the weekend at the landing! The drive down and past the Deshka was only slightly less entertaining! I'ts a wonder there isnt anymore train wrecks than there are! YAHOO MAT-SU!
    lots of fun to watch the landing departures.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I like watching them come in full bore and waking the heck out of everything in sight then wonder why everyone is staring at them.

I always enjoyed the Lil Su launch. It combines ignorance AND the river current to make some interesting situations for less experienced folks. Definetly enjoyable at either location, especially when you throw in a little stress or someone without patience.
    BK

Now that the water is low I had to go out twice by five fingers to rescue boaters high aground. It always makes me shake my head when I see a weekender loaded to the tilt with lumber and supplies and they dont even call to see if there is enough water? Makes my wallet feel good though

Whats the $$$ for a rescue? And whats the number to call.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

It cost money to rescue someone or help them off of a sand bar. When you live out here you have to haul your fuel in and that of course cost money too! For instance two weeks ago I had to go way up the Alexander and tow a airboat that threw a bearing down to our house. The two guys spent the night and enjoyed good food and company at no cost of course because they were now our guest. Now by the time I towed them to Dynomite slew I had used over 25 gallons of gas. That my friend is like gold out here. I charge for the fuel and a dollar more a gallon because I have to haul more in. Now if your willing to bring me back the fuel I used then of course there is no charge. My number is 733-1559 and I can help people in trouble from the Yetna down to the Inlet. If your above there then you would want to call Ron at the Deshka at 495-7001 or Larry Heater at the Deshka at 495-1285.

Where is "5 fingers?" is it here?

6128'38.01" N 15031'32.27" W

Just curious...Ive never heard of that place before. Thanks

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Where is "5 fingers?" is it here?

6128'38.01" N 15031'32.27" W

Just curious...Ive never heard of that place before. Thanks

Joe
    I would say pretty close maybe tad more down stream, hard to tell with a winter photo, 61.28.19.14N 150,31,47.18 W.
    There abouts, Just local short term for holy smokes what one to go in!!

Go thru the fifth finger which would be the last finger down stream. It takes you out of the east channel and into the west channel and down to Alexander Creek. That is if there is enough water! If not you have to continue down the east channel past the power lines and up Dynomite slough. Now if you want to go on a cool ride go up fish creek to Flathorn lake. that is fun!

Thanks for the info.... I hope you were compensated for your time and effort
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

My time at the landing has been pretty benign. I did get a bit of a giggle watching some poor guy trying to get his Wooly classic (I think) off of his trailer while about 6 other rigs waited "patiently" to retrieve. All i could think was "glad that's not me!"

Default It is always for sure a lot of fun to watch...

HaHa... When I was heading out Sunday I was loading my boat up as another was launching (really nice inboard, Northriver or Custom weld I believe) and this guy was working it like he really knew what he was doing so I really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to him until I hear "SPLASH!!!" and I look up to see this white shirted rocket come launching out of the water and sucking for BIG AIR... Man did he have a few choice words... Lol, but the sad thing was, he wanted to act like it was all planned.

I just smiled and asked if he was alright? Then I told him he might want to put some dry stuff on as it might get a little chilly...

To the guy that went through this, I am not laughing at you... not that I ever did anything like that...

Safe boating to everyone.
    Tony

My buddy who shall be nameless was on the bow of a big jet boat going in to the landing in low water one fall and he was shot off the front into the water. It probaly wouldnt have been so funny if he didnt deserve it! I bet Deshka river is having it's entertaining moments right now with all the boats and Kings!

Saw a guy beat his fish with a fire extinguisher on Monday when he didn't have a club to use. Pretty funny.
    At the launch later, saw a guy jackknife a trailer practically into the back of his rig while backing down an empty trailer. He could read his trailer liscence plate from the truck seat if that tells ya anything. 2 attempts later, he finally got it somewhat straight and took up 2 lanes just to load a 16' jon boat. Some people....

The best one I saw was several years ago when a guy was all by himself, was in a hurry, trying to load his big Wooly Classic inboard. He gets it on the trailer somewhat, goes to hook up and crank it on the rest of the way. How this happened is ANYONES guess, but while cranking her on, he got his head caught between the bow and the cranking wheel and pinned his head in there. He ended up alright for the most part, but, What The ****???

Now thats entertainment! I guess if you hang around on the river long enough you see it all, until the next thing you see. The worst that ever happened to me is loading a guys barge I made the mistake of telling him it's your barge go ahead and bring it into the trailer. I backed the trailer down and had it too perfect in the water. He took three tries getting it in line with the trailer and it floated into the stop before the cranking wheel. PERFECT! Ecxept he thought it needed to go futher and gave the gas and rode the bow over the top of the stop and almost to the cab of the truck with me diving off the trailer and getting wet. Now mind you this is a thirty foot landing craft so needless to say I was a little upset and spewed a few words I probaly shouldnt have. Happy to report he no longer has the barge and every one is safe.......... for now!

Hey Alexander, their is another way to get to the Alexander besides the West channel? Guess you don't have to worry about the river as much now that you got that pretty plane. I should make a friendly wager that you my friend will never have to pull me off a sand bar in the West channel. The Tjet loves shallow water, especially to come drink a few rum and cokes with ya. Maybe next hitch off I will come and see ya, I will call first to see if ya need anything.

First off alaskabliss, no need to ask me what I need,,,,,,,,,, Rum and coke will do! So if I tell you not to take the West Channel like our buddy Vic (who by the way is the guy who was launched off of the boat at Deshka Landing) are you going to go thru Dynomite Slough or ignore me like our buddy Vic and take Five Fingers? For your information he made it thru but on the way home he sucked up some sand in his T-Jet and being new and him not being familar with it he pulled the anit-freeze plug instead of the sand trap. He had to wade the West Channel and hack thru the wilds to get to Nancy's and borrow some anti-freeze! PRICELESS! Of course you know our buddy Vic will never admit to this but I have witnesses!

Last week I pulled our other buddy Jimmy N. (Sherry's son) off a sand bar at five fingers, so if you see him on the slope remind him he has to bring me fuel this winter! That outta burn his back side! hehehehe! How is your flying lessons going?

Vic told me all about his sand sucking story... I warned him to get a sand trap but the man is stubborn! You know i'm going to ignore you about the west channel, it's a challenge that I love to take. Unlike Vic, I have a sand trap and know how to work on my motor in the event I suck too much sand. He does have a good eye on reading the river, he is my mentor of sorts, so it is time for me to show my mentor how it's done. I can remeber several times getting to the West channel and Vic and I were the only ones willing to run it. The only problem is if we were to get stuck, Vic turnes into a baby and whines like a kid who lost his sucker.

I remember when Vic asked me if I would load a four wheeler in my freight boat and help him haul a moose if he got one. I said yes and Nancy jumped me for agreeing because we had work to do. I said dont worry he never gets one.......... He got one! You outta tell him to join this forum so he can see how bad we are ripping him!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast