Thread: Spring Seal Hunting

Default Spring Seal Hunting

The wife was talking to me this past month about me catching a couple of seal this spring/summer when out on the water. Weeelllll...I can't really do that 'cause the skin isn't the right color...but hers is. I pointed this out and saw a little gleam in her eye. I took this as the go-ahead (I sure hope I interpreted The Look correctly), and began looking for a seal rifle. Popular rifles are .22LR, .22-250 and .223. Range isn't an issue as all of the seal I saw this past summer were less than 150 yards, and a couple were much closer. The problem is the target is a lozenge-shape about 1.5 inches high by 2.5 inch long. So it has to be accurate and shoot flat. I wanted a stainless Remy in .22-250. I was contacted by a fellow forumite who has a really juicy Winchester in .22-250 all done-up in an H-S Precision stock, but it just wasn't stainless. Here on the Lower Kuskokwim, when the tide comes in there is some mixing of fresh and salt water, so blued steel is out. Then I read about the crazy ballistics of the .223 WSSM. Try 4350 fps with a 40 grain Nosler BT. Yikes! That's what I wanted. So after a couple weeks of searching, I was finally able to locate a Winchester Model 70 Classic, Camo Ultimate Shadow, Stainless in the cartridge. This is the ONLY rig I could find after searching GB, AA, and GA. Found it on GA by the way.

So the cashiers check went out today, should be here end of next week. I have ordered all benchrest reloading tools to make the most precise rounds I can. I also ordered 30 gr Berger, 40 gr BT and some 52 gr Barnes TS to see how those do. Have 100 new cases coming. Once all here I have to do all the work at my office so my wife won't find out. Only when I have it perfect will I put it in a Pelican case and present it to her. I can't wait.
    I am soooooo excited. For her I mean.

The only thing I have not ordered for this outfit is a scope with bases and rings. I am really leaning towards an illuminated reticle because the time of day and water conditions will make seeing the crosshairs challenging much of the time. I would like a 30mm tube, and Burris (my favorite scope), makes an illuminated reticle ina scope with a 30mm tube BUT: what power? Should I go for a low-power for quick pick-up? Or stay with a 4-12 or 4-16? Decisions decisions. It's keeping me up at night I tell ya!

Default just remember

On a seal hunt if you are not native you can not drive the boat, harpoon the seal after the shot, glass for seals, drag the seal into the boat, or anything else for that matter. You can only go along as an observer. Keep that in mind, would hate to see you get busted by the feds in BET.

Default Maybe she's got a brother?

Better bring one of her relatives to drive the boat...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Gees, you mean a poor native woman who doesn't own a boat can't go seal hunting? I would think she could charter a boat to go hunting. Doesn't matter who owns the boat, does it? Seems like she ought to be able to hire help too. After all, she is a WOMAN!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default MT

nope boat ownership does not matter as far as I know but I did not ask. I looked into this with the feds in Bethel AND Anchorage last year as I wanted to go along on a walrus hunt and a seal hunt.

I was told in Bethel that I can't go. I simply new that could not be true. So I called Anchorage and found out I can be in the boat, but can do nothing to help out during the hunt. All I can do is be there as an observer and take photos.

Well this just gets beter and better! You see, last year I wanted to add hydraulic steering to the boat. So now I have a reason: SHE has to drive the boat!

Nitroman;
    Yer just after new toys..

Default perfect

Nitro it is going to work out perfectly for you LUCKY LUCKY GUY

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Nitroman;
    Yer just after new toys..

SSSssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Someone might hear you.

And as for being lucky? Weeeellllll, I guess! But then, if I was really lucky, I'd draw a muskox permit after 16 years of trying. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

And I spoke to my L'il Hunter about this spring. I told her if we see a seal, I'll throttle back and she'll take over from there. All I can do is kick-back and enjoy the show.

I'm in the same boat you are... Wife can hunt 'em, I can't. The only real direction that the Feds gave me was instructing me that I cannot "participate in the hunt" which includes driving the boat, the shooting (duh), and bringing the seal/otter onto the boat. I've gotten mixed responses on the skinning part of the ordeal. Has anyone else had a more clear answer?

I've seen non natives, on land at camp or at home, skinning, butchering, bagging, etc. One of the ones I observed was an Alaskan State Trooper helping cut up his father, and brother, in laws spring seal catch.
    Maybe once the animal is on land, or at home, the "hunt" is over.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

When I use my .22 WMR for seal hunting I have the scope on no higher than 6 power, seems about right for me. But in some cases you are allowed to be able to hunt for seal if you are "accepted" into the tribal entity that your wife is enrolled into.
    Good luck with the new rifle. Can I test it out for you someday out here?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    When I use my .22 WMR for seal hunting I have the scope on no higher than 6 power, seems about right for me. But in some cases you are allowed to be able to hunt for seal if you are "accepted" into the tribal entity that your wife is enrolled into.
    Good luck with the new rifle. Can I test it out for you someday out here?
    Sure! Let me know when I can come up for you to take me caribou/reindeer hunting, or when you are heading out on the big water.

Default seal hunting

While i am not interested in hunting seals i do have a opinion. The opinion is all of Alaskan laws and game need to be the same, no matter what color your skin is. We fought a civil war over racial differances, yet we prohibit it to happen here in Alaska in many ways from special hunts, private native only hunts, special private native only access and free native health care. I have no problems with different ethnic groups, i am married to a minority. Her rights are the same as mine nothing special. My opinion is we all have to be treated the same no matter what happened 50 years ago. We are all Alaskans and most living here consider themselves an American. Get rid of all the special rules make it fair for every red blooded Alaskan here. Just my 2 cents. Chef

Default Federal law

If it were up to the ADF&G all Alaskans would be able to hunt Seal and there would be seasons.

This is a Fed law .... the Marine Mammals act of '72 .... that only allows certain user groups to hunt or even participate or even sew skins or possess.

I would call the Fed LEO's up in Anchorage and find out exactly what a non-native can do (if anything) on a Seal or Sea Lion hunt.

I'll let you know if I find that hidden caribou herd this coming week. Pretty rugged riding for 30 miles though, but hopefully it gets better soon.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!