Thread: I need a little help figuring out a Caribou hunt!

Default I need a little help figuring out a Caribou hunt!

I am hoping someone on here can give me an idea or a contact that will help me salvage a good hunt out a tangled situation. I planned a hunt for August 13-26 for me, my dad and my youngest brother. I bought my dads ticket to try to pay him back for all the hunting trips he payed for when I was a kid and we originally planned on a caribou hunt on the Haul road. Everything looked good and everyone is excited about it, but then I remembered yesterday that the State of Alaska requires archers to be Archery Hunter Safety Certified. I went online and researched where they could get certified before the hunt. Most states in the lower 48 don't require anything for Archery other than a license and because of this there are very few options to get certified. So I contacted Bob Hunter to find out what they have done for other people but he is out of town for a few days. I am wondering if one of you know if there is an air service that works out of an airport up there that could drop us off in the rifle area. I have heard people talk about a guy who used to drop hunters off with an airboat, but I don't know if that is a good option or not. I have a river raft and could float out but I don't see many options for accessing the area by water. I would pack in to the Rifle area but my dad is getting up to the age that it would beat him up pretty good and I would prefer to make this as enjoyable as possible for him! So help a guy out, any info and all options are welcomed (it doesn't have to be on the Haul road but that was the only area I knew to be open for Caribou at that time)! My focus is sharing an awesome experience with family but I would love to to see them ice the cake with a nice Bou! Thanks in advance!

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I might have a option for you, shoot me a pm or email @ mac87toy@msn.com

seventynorth.com

Great service, great location, reasonable prices.

Default Ibep

I can't tell who doesn't have the Bowhunter ed card.

If its Dad, have him do the class in the State he lives in; if its IBEP approved class (chances are it is) then his card from that class in that state is good as gold here in Alaska. If its an Alaskan that needs the bowhunter ed card, do the online class, and schedule the field day for before the hunt; its a part-day affair only. And be nice to your instructor; they're a volunteer, and it is in their discretion to allow you a re-shoot (or not) if you fail the first time, so be attentive, no-nonsense, and helpful to them.

Does that help? Or did I completely misunderstand? If so, sorry, just trying to help.

I agree with Familyman. I went hunting on the haul rd last August and I had to get the IBEP card also. I am in Michigan and I had to search for a class and it wasn't close to my home but it was worth it. Mine took one day to complete. Do a search for the state on the IBEP

Thanks Bucksandnoles, I sent them an email to see if they can help me out. Familyman and Markoplo50 - I appreciate the input, it is both my father and brother that do not have the IBEP card. I have gone online and looked for their states and nothing is offered that I can find. They are both coming up from the Southeast part of the lower 48 (TN, FL) and there no classes offered in their states and very few classes even coming up in the states around them. I will have to ask them if they are willing to travel that far to get a cert. I was hoping they could take the AK online portion and then schedule a field day immediately after they get here with Mr Hunter but I haven't been able to talk to him yet. (that option is still out there but it is a one shot deal, if they screw it up we have nothing) I have since began looking for a more rifle oriented option but that is tricky with such short notice for services. I am still hopeful of finding a good option and I appreciate all the input. Keep them coming!

I might be able to help with the ibep stuff if you email me, mac87toy@msn.com

Coyote Air. Dirk and Danielle are first class!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Deltana's website says they still have a guided opening Aug 13-21 and it doesn't seem likely they'll fill it this late. That probably means you could talk Ralph into taking you on for unguided. Not cheap but first class operation.

Default planning ahead is easier

Quote Originally Posted by Smoak'nGun View Post
    Familyman and Markoplo50 - I appreciate the input, it is both my father and brother that do not have the IBEP card. I have gone online and looked for their states and nothing is offered that I can find. They are both coming up from the Southeast part of the lower 48 (TN, FL) and there no classes offered in their states and...
    Bad news. Not completely lost though.

Call Fairbanks F&G & ask for Hunter Ed. dept. if no go there try Anchorage's F&G Hunter Ed. dept.

Pour your heart out to them with the specific dates you'd like your field course day to be, to get you IBEP card; they both will have already completed the Alaska online bowhunter ed course by then.

Could be F&G already have a class at the needed time that'll suit your schedule. Could be one could be made.

The sticky wicket is that is is not legal is for you to engage a hunter ed instructor to teach a private class on a specific day; all classes must be publicized and open to the public. Steer clear of this one legal pothole and you remain, having a chance of success.

Good luck to you.

For others reading this, get your bowhunter ed card long before you need it; same with a passport; both are very hard to get at the last second, and trivially easy to get if you have lead time.

FamilyMan, you are correct the instructors/certifiers can not just give out a class for a friend without putting it out to the public but if they have a spacific date they need to take the class a instructor needs 30 days notice to schedule a class. So it is possible and very legal. So like FamilyMan said your not SOL, you have options. When would your family's be able to take the shoot portion of the test? I am planning on teaching a course on July 23

Just a note here. If you are reading this and you are a hunter ANYWHERE in the U.S....go get your hunter education card and if you are a bowhunter get you bowhunter card. Opportunities come up all the time to hunt in far flung places and it's a shame to not be certified. I learned this lesson years ago when I was offered a free hunt down in the states and I couldn't go due to lack of hunter ed card since I didn't need one in AK. I learned my lesson and I went from there to being and instructor for both.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem