Thread: Pants -- Wateresistant / Quiet????

Default Pants -- Wateresistant / Quiet????

Hi Guys.

Been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to post... I've seen many threads on pants, but if you don't mind I'd like to post my own question

My question relates to cold weather, snow / rain pants that must be extremely quiet.

I hunt in Northeastern PA where we have pretty cold (15-40 degrees) and generally snowy, wet conditions. I realize there are many pants that would work in this condition, but my added issues are silence and the fact that I'm looking for something NOT CAMO (would prefer black). I'm mainly stalking mature whitetails through mountains and when in the snow, its generally silent so I need to be as quiet as possible. Swishing sounds from my pants are just not going to cut it.

Visibility in the thick mountainious regions is usually not more than 30 yards or so, so I need to be really quiet to get close while staying warm and dry.

I guess my question simply put would be: what would you recomment as a VERY quiet, warm, breathable water resistant pant in non-camo?

My favorite pant thus far for these conditions is an insulated Gore-Tex polyester pant in Loden green made by Rocky. I've had this pair for 6 years or so, but can't find it anywhere anymore. Would the Sporthill expedition fit this bill? My concern on the Sporthills is how water resistant they will be in snowy / wet conditions in thick brush.

I've got Sporthills- excellent and pretty water resistant as well as fast drying. They make camo and a brown in the heavy SP3.

I'm trying the Kuiu pants this year and they're excellent in the snow...available in camo and a grey color. Best hunting pants I've worn. Period.

There's a couple good pants threads down in the gear forum. I just bought a set of OR Cirque pants in black. They are very comfortable and stretchy, but I haven't had them out much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    There's a couple good pants threads down in the gear forum. I just bought a set of OR Cirque pants in black. They are very comfortable and stretchy, but I haven't had them out much yet.
    Thanks Tyrex. What about the silence factor? Do they make that annoying swishing sound while stalking.

I wear or pants too, I think the fury model.

My observation is when still hunting blacktails your moving at a fairly good clip until you enter good habitat with fresh sign. Then you should be moving so slow and methodical that many gear manufactures would work. Sticks break, leaves crunch, we breath. Once I realized that a deers hearing is beyond my comprehension many have fallen.
    If it's rainy and cold I wear what keeps me warm in layers. Smell, vision, and audio cues all trigger a deers awareness.
    Good luck in your search. Quiet gear is great. It doesn't replace good old hunting skills though when it comes to sneaking in close on game.
    That temperature range is a difficult one. Everything is could be frozen so crunch crunch is gonna happen. The upper end at 40 is nice hunting weather, a good blow with rain will help your cause.
    I like my OR pants with leg zips for what you mentioning in black.

I recently bought a set of Russell APXG2 Cyclone rain gear that I'm impressed with. It's quiet, breathable, and flexible. IMO for the money, it's hard to beat. Sportsmans Warehouse online has the Russell APXG2 gear on sale at 50% off of the 149.99 price right now.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...1743/cat113429

I hunted many seasons in northern Miane wearing wool pants from Johnson Mills in Vermont. It would take a steady rain before the rain got through. I'd spray them with a water repellant a couple of days before the season and then hang them outside (under cover) to let them air out. They're not as water resistant as some of the synthetics, but very warm and quiet. I still wear them here in Alaska too.

I like shoeler dryskin pants over a merino wool base layer. Not water proof but the wool stays warm even when damp and the whole set dries very quickly. At 30-40 that would be my go to. For colder I plan on going with a set of predator hunting bibs over a merino base layer. BTW, I LOVE merino wool!!!

Westcombs over sporthill's works well for me. Both are quiet, wind resistant, water resistant, and dry fast. Good layer system, and the westcombs weigh nothing so they pack easily if not needed.

You want beaglewear.com. Merno wool that is WIND and Water proof for TRACKERS. MADE IN USA .... just went to there web site and are having a
    Fathers Day sale.

The BENOIT family has been using Beagle Wear for years when they track.
    Youtube has a video about there "Benoit Brothers Tracking School".
    Also, The number one selling whitetail book of all time (40,000 copies sold) has many photos of the Benoits using Beagle Wear. DVDS as well.

I hunt northern Maine, NH, & Canada, and have found that Cabela's "Legacy Wool Dri-Plus hunting pants" work for me. They are quiet, breathable, waterproof and won't shrink when wet. Begle Wear is very good...but w-a-y over priced! (I don't know about now, as company was sold last fall). Check it out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Filson wool gets the heads up as well. Not water proof or wind proof but will block alot of wind. good luck

You can do a lot worse than these pants LINK. I use them and have found them to perform according to your parameters. They are as quiet as fleece, warm as wool and are waterproof (very water resistant as only rubberized items are truly waterproof IME), yet breathable. If there is a downside, they can be a bit difficult to dry in a tent if they get soaked on the outside. They come in black and olive and are worth a look IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Swazi ..... Dry-Backs ... my wife treats them with TechWash and they work great.