Thread: King limit - 5 in SC then 5 in SE? or 5 total?

Default King limit - 5 in SC then 5 in SE? or 5 total?

I called the Sitka fish and game office at 9am this morning and they could not give me an answer.

They called me back at 12:00 to tell me they still did not know the answer...

Im a non-resident.
    Ive caught 3 of my possible 5 kings in SC.
    Im going to SE for a 10 day trip in July.

How many kings am I allowed to keep in SE?

According to the fish & game in Homer, if I had caught 5 kings in SE before coming to SC, I would be allowed another 5. But she did not know about the other way around.

thanks in advance
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Tough one eh?
    Ive asked 10 people already this morning including a few guides and nobody knows!

After speaking with 4 more F&G officers, I got my answer!

I called the Juneau office and they transfered me around a bit and the answer is:

you can retain 5 in SC, and ANOTHER 5 in SE.

Good to know. I hope there are still kings around Craig or Coffman early July.

Might want to get that in writing. It's hard to tell the trooper, that so-and-so on the phone said it was "OK". Specially when you have 10 kings written on the back of your non-res fishing license.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

good point.

I will call them back and see if I can get it in writing.

thanks

Who the hell would want that many nasty old kings anyway ;-)

Soda, I will venture to guess that sounds a little 'fishy' but game and fish limits may be different, get it in writing.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Hi Guys,

Just got a voicemail, now from the sitka fish and game, and she left me a voicemail confirming that the 2 regions are managed separately. She left her name, stating she works at F&G and that there are in fact 2 separate limits.

That should be good enough right? Obviously I saved the voicemail.

Also, I just want to confirm something. Ive only been keeping kings from hatchery runs. I see all these posts about how poor certain king runs are doing and I certainly dont want to come in as a visitor and help ruin something that used to be better.
    So when Im talking about keeping 10 kings (if Im lucky enough to land 10), its most likely in places that the fish were suppose to be caught and kept.
    and eaten.
    raw.